Welcome to the official website for author Jess Montgomery, who writes gripping historical mysteries featuring strong female leads and compelling themes just as relevant today.
Coming January 2019
Set in 1920s’ Ohio against the backdrop of coal mining, prohibition and women’s rights, The Widows is about two women whose lives collide when the man they both love is murdered. Inspired by the true stories of two historical figures.
Jess writes the Sheriff Lily Ross series set in 1920s’ Appalachian Ohio. She has won awards for her writing from the Montgomery County Arts & Cultural District (Ohio) and the Ohio Arts Council. Jess also directs a writers’ workshop, teaches creative writing, and speaks frequently at writers’ workshops and conferences. To get to know Jess a bit better, read her letter to readers or her official bio.
A few Jess facts:
- Enjoys hiking; has absolutely no sense of direction.
- Finds bats adorable; is terrified of mice.
- Loves tacos; allergic to avocados and thus guacamole.
- Is not in the least afraid of public speaking; terrified of (besides mice) rip tides, swinging bridges, and open-air heights in general.
- Favorite beverages: coffee, sweet tea, and occasionally whiskey on the rocks or an Old Fashioned
- Once flew a plane without any formal training.
- Makes pies for family and friends.
Events, Blog and…
February 16, 2018—Bound copies of The Widows take flight to other authors for possible blurbs!
December 19, 2017—Jess was awarded an Artist Opportunity Grant, funded by the Montgomery County (Ohio) Arts & Cultural District (MCACD), for development of a website and blog to include pieces on the historical background of the novel, The Widows.
June 12, 2017—Jess Montgomery’s first two Sheriff Lily Ross Historical mysteries sold to Minotaur Books, editor Catherine Richards, by literary agent Elisabeth Weed of The Book Group. The release date of the debut Lily Ross novel, The Widows, is January 2019.
Photo: Jess’s office